Nationals, T minus 1 day (Sunday, 10/11)
Stay tuned to this page for more updates!
9:45 am: Registration is hopping, we now have 411 jumpers registered and 224 of them checked in. Current team count: 84. Current 4-way team count: 49, with more than 8 hours to go before 4-way registration closes tonight at 6 p.m. Draw and briefing will be held at 6 pm in hangar 2 (the one on the left as you walk in from the parking lot, with the registration tables and award stage).
Registration hot tips:
- #1: Register/pay online and print/fill out your waiver before you get here!!! Your check-in will take as little as 2 minutes if you're prepared.
- #2: Girls' shirts run small.
Competition briefings for each event will happen the later of the following:
- The night before the event begins at the close of registration (6 pm).
- When jumping ends, or
- After any medals are awarded for previous events.
12:30 pm: Registration update: We've got 432 jumpers registered, 265 checked in, and 91 teams (all events). Right now, there are 54 4-way teams registered.
It's still pretty thick out there, but here's a few shots of what's going on around here...
8 pm: All right ladies and germs, the briefing is over and we've got a potential world record round in the draw for open class (there are 57 4-way teams registered, 16 Open, 8 Advanced, and 33 Intermediate). More on that in a moment, first let's run through a few notes and quotes from the briefing (bulleted for speed's sake):
- "Just look at this place, they've really pulled out all the stops! The Boyd family has shown a real commitment to skydiving with this place."--Scott Smith, meet director
- "Welcome to the 2009 USPA Nationals, I've been waiting a long time to say that! Thanks to our sponsors--Sky Systems, Aerodyne, Vigil, and Jumper Sportswear for helping us produce this event!"--Eric "EZ" Boyd, DZ manager
- "We're working really hard to get this done, when the sun is shining, be prepared for 45-minute calls (the minimum specified in the Skydivers' Competition Manual). If you land out, have a mal, or whatever, let manifest know right away. We want to keep things moving when the weather is good.
"There is an official notice board next to the registration tables; look there for any updates on weather or anything else. There will also be a 'non-official/official' notice board at www.uspanationals.com--check it at 6 a.m. to see if you need to be here at 7 a.m. for a 15-minute call. If we are on a weather hold till, say, 11 a.m., by 10 a.m. we hope to have an update on www.uspanationals.com. If there's a chance we'll be jumping, we're going to hold everyone here so we can jump our a$$es off and get this done once weather's here. There is no maximum number of jumps per day, we'll keep going till we have 10 rounds in or it's sunset."--Smith (Weather's not looking too great for full altitude tomorrow morning, but keep your fingers crossed!)
- Early rounds will go according to team number, but by round 5 we're expecting to have teams jump in reverse order of standings. "Really pay attention to the manifest calls!"--Smith
- If moisture proves an issue for video at lower altitudes, jump altitudes may be raised but 35-second working time is still in effect.
- 5 Otters will be in use, 4 with outside floater bars and one without as a backup. All planes are considered the same and outside floater bars are fair game.
- Jump runs will run north or south for consistency with four teams per plane, three teams for the first pass and one for the last. Green light=exit, red light during jump run does not mean to stop climbout. The next team out will get a go-around.
- No grips on flap handles!
- Jump run speeds will be 90 +/- 5 knots, with 85 as the target.
- Landing procedures: NO HOOK TURNS IN THE MAIN LANDING AREA! "Land safely straight in for two weeks, then we can all party like rockstars after that. If you gotta do a hook turn, sign the swoop park waiver and land over there, but remember you'll still be on a 45-minute call when you land. And swoop park competitors have right of way (practicing or competing)." --Rabbitt Staib, air boss/S&TA
- Hook turn violators may or may not get a warning...
- Avoid landing on the runway or the short-mown grass next to it, the planes use both... Beware of aircraft if crossing the runway, they'll be using it about every 4 minutes...
- "You guys are going to be way, way impressed with the CamScore system this year. Video staff, judges, and I am all really impressed with it." --Smith (more on this tomorrow!)
- Video downloading is all digital with touchscreens on this system.
- "This is the first major meet where CamScore's random electronic draw has pulled an all-random round (Round 6 is A-N-H-P-O). We have FAI judges here to certify a world record if it happens!" --Judy Celaya, chief judge
What, you want the draw? OK, here you go!
Team list: (it'll be on CamScore tomorrow, but here's your preview!)
|Amphibious Attack Tigers|
|Golden Knights Gold|
|SDC Rhythm XP|
|Golden Knights Black|
|SDC Furies XP|
|Spaceland SPX Lite|
|Cross Keys Aerodyne|
|(G) Blue Ice|
|Dallas Vertical Velocity|
|Venture 4 Fun|
|(G) First Point|
|(G) CSC Pareto Optimal|
|Perris 4 Shock|
|Spaceland Funnel Approach|
|First Time Out|
|Dallas Flash Point|
|Bisquits and Gravity|
|Cross Keys NRG|
|Dallas Fusion 4|
|Air Force Epic|
|Air Force Groove|
|Air Force Raptor|
Photos to come later, must find dinner now!